Thursday 12 July 2018

Research Class Idea

This is just an idea, might not be the true research question yet
Can the relationship between two characters be defined by the viewer's own experiences?

Questions I can ask:
  • Can I manipulate the viewer's understanding of the current relationship between the characters?
  • Could I change how the viewer views the relationship between the characters?
  • Why did the viewer view the relationship between the characters the way they did?
  • Does the viewer's own understanding influence how they view the relationship between the characters?
  • Can the relationship between two characters be defined by the viewer's own experiences/influences?
_________________________________________________________________________________
Image result for yuri on iceExample: Yuri On Ice, Yuri and Victor. Married or Best Friends?
I viewed the two main characters' (Yuri and Victor) relationship as not one of marriage or romantic love, but one of a close friendship or a brotherhood, similar to my own very close relationship with my sister. This could be naive of me and I do understand how their relationship could be seen as a marriage or romance, but this is just my own opinion and thoughts on their relationship.

_______________________________________________________________
There was a huge up-rise of debate in and out of class due to my example of Yuri on Ice. My classmates were obviously not completely listening to why I used this anime as an example. This project is not (in their words) "An attack on the LGBTQ community and that you're just trying to lie to us and yourself because of your stupid religious beliefs. Yuri on Ice is very Yaoi! You are Wrong!". This is just one example of the feedback I received outside of class during lunch break, when even more people from the LGBTQ community lectured me on why I am too innocent, disconnecting myself from the truth, and (repeated multiple times) am lying to myself.

I didn't know what the LGBTQ community was, or what Yaoi meant, so I researched into the meanings of these words. 'LGBTQ' being defined as 'Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning'. Yaoi meaning 'A slang word used by (mostly) anime fans, meaning boys' love or gay pairing'. I am so surprised how they thought that I was attacking their culture or beliefs with one example and an opinion that didn't match theirs.

_________________________________________________________________________________
I do not wish to make sexuality the basis of or direction of my research project. I will not conduct any further research into these groups, and instead, I will focus on how drawings can portray various relationships depending on their positions. I'm not trying to offend others with this project, I'm just experimenting to see if I can manipulate the viewer's opinions on the relationship between two characters and investigate (possibly) if the relationship that they view the characters having is based upon their own experiences, culture or beliefs.

_________________________________________________________________________________
This would be a social project, taking into account what people think and say. I can conduct this in different locations, one being in a church setting and other being the SIT environment, to see if the results vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment