Thursday 19 July 2018

Concept Ideas

I have drawn my two main characters (Oliver and Silver) in different positions to see if I can show their relationship.
Every page has a different aspect of a 'relationship' investigated. I asked some fellow classmates about why they would consider two people to be in a relationship when they have never asked or don't actually know. They stated some key signals that would seem to indicate that people are in a relationship, without needing to asking them. When I said relationship, they thought of the romantic kind instead of the general idea like friendship. They said that if the two people are holding hands, have some form of physical contact, share each others clothes, and/or have a certain expression when walking away from the other person, they are probably in a romantic relationship.

I kind of took the mickey out of what they said and drew my two character in different positions with each of these different aspects. I wanted to see if people would consider my two characters to be in a romantic relationship when they are not.

By drawing these pages, I have become a lot better at drawing these characters well. I am happy to better my skill with drawing to when it comes to drawing the comic, or animating the animation, as it means that I will create a much nicer and consistent piece of work.

Biography poses
These two poses are practice for the bios page. I found drawing Oliver challenging, especially with drawing his legs (hence why there are multiple legs). I will upgrade and improve the drawing of both characters when redrawing them in ToonBoom Harmony (not Photoshop, to keep the drawing style consistent). When I redraw them, I will include their colours. It would be the first time I completely colour Oliver. Every other time, it has only been his head and shoulders.

Hand holding aspect
This was the first time I drew Oliver and Silver with an aspect placed on them. I did not finish the drawing completely (Silver missing an arm, etc). Once again, I will finish/clean up this drawing in ToonBoon Harmony. My idea with this drawing was to have my innocent character (Silver) dragging the serious character (Oliver), maybe to show Oliver something he found. Oliver is not happy being dragged around by Silver. People holding hands is not always due to a romantic situation.

Contact aspect
This time I wanted to not only try to draw the aspect of having them in contact, but to practice having my characters show the mood of how they feel, rather than me having to tell people what the mood or feel is, like being scared or playful, etc. I also wanted to show others that contact does not have to be represented in a romantic way but can be in different forms, like accidental or an impulse reaction to something like fear or shock.

Sharing clothes aspect
I found drawing this page to be funny. I knew I had to give Oliver and Silver a reason for sharing clothing, but then I thought, what if Silver steals or forces Oliver to wear or give him his clothes. These kind of actions from Silver gives him more personalty, especially with the 'Mr Serious' drawing of Silver wearing all of Oliver's clothes, impersonating Oliver. I think I could have done a better job with drawing the Jewel and Hat swap on the right of the page (no.6). I think Silver is a funny, cute, little character full of innocence.

The expression aspect
With drawing their faces over and over in different views, I have gained a lot more experience and practice with keeping their features consistent, even in a new angle of expression. I also aimed to show their personalities with the different sort of expressions they make. I can see that, with Oliver, he seems to have a more judgmental or blank look at everything. This gives him a more critical feeling around him, revealing his personalty. With Silver, he shows a lot more emotions with how he looks, due to the fact that he cannot tell others how he feels. So he must show a lot more feeling though his facial expressions to let others know what he is feeling. This is why his emotions can be seen as very expressive, because they are. 

The experiments are done. Now I wonder if people will see these two in a romantic relationship, or if they will instead see the relationship I am trying to portray (a one-sided friendship, one putting up with the other, while the other believes they are the best of friends).

No comments:

Post a Comment