Tuesday 8 May 2018

David Lynch's film, Eraser Head (1977)

Review of Eraser Head (1977)

It is a surrealist film because it made very little sense to me. There is multiple interpretations/themes that are present, but is unknown the true purpose of this film. Some parts of this film is very distressing, like a surrealist film usually is. I personally didn't understand or recognize a theme in this film, but my classmates had some thoughts on some possible themes.

There was the theme of reproduction, with the symbolism of the long worm things being sperm and the main character desperately throwing them away. The theme of recognizing mental disorders, with many female characters randomly having some sort of mental breakdown, like once they were panting and shacking very strangely while crying.
Image result for eraser head
Eraser Head. Image from, eraserhead.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Spencer
I found it fascinating how the film maker was able to create an 'alien baby' so well with the limited technology back in the 1970's. But I found the scene when the main character cut open the alien baby's body as showed it screaming and gasping in a huge amount of pain, very distressing. I did not like seeing the insides of the alien baby and how there was blood everywhere, along with guts. The film was shocking and confusing to me. Why did the female characters randomly act so strange? I might never know.

I wouldn't want to watch this film a second time, not because it is a bad film. I am not into this kind of film. If you like confusing, distressing, and shocking films, then I would recommend this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment